Scary isn’t it? Don’t worry though, I am sure you are able to get through it.
After all, somebody has obviously hand picked you to deliver the speech, and that of course means you have something special about you.
Here are a couple of tips that can help ensure that speech goes off without a hitch!
- Firstly, DON’T be boring. Don’t worry, this isn’t as difficult as it sounds. Try to inject a bit of personality into your speech and steer clear of those traditional graduation speech cliches. Everything you say should be related to what you are talking about, so try to avoid throwing in random quotes too!
- DO practice your speech! Remember that old saying, practice makes perfect? That is truer than ever when it comes to a graduation speech! It is absolutely vital that you practice, practice and then practice some more. This will also allow you to inject a bit of personality into your speech as you really don’t want to be staring down at a bit of paper whilst delivering it right?
- DO smile during your speech. You want to make it seem like you are having fun right? Remember, smiles rub off on over people, have a glowing one and you will light up that whole room!
- DON’T say something that you will end regretting. Many people do this for some reason. If you are considering whether something should be added or not, it is best that you leave it out! For some reason, maybe people include stories which make fun of other people, and this is not something that you want to be doing.
- DO thank people in your speech. After all, you haven’t gotten this far in life alone have you? I also suggest you remind people that they have others to thank too. Allow them to pause for reflection on this.